The quick answer is 5 :)

You're absolutely correct in looking for listen(), but you're looking
in the wrong place.

The dev_appserver runs the BaseHTTPServer from the Python standard
library.  The BaseHTTPServer from the stdlib runs the
SocketServer.TCPServer from the SocketServer in the stdlib.  And... it
looks like the TCPServer defaults to a listen backlog of 5 :)

(see BaseHTTPServer.py and SocketServer.py in your Python distribution
for all the gritty details, along with google/appengine/tools/
dev_appserver.py in your App Engine SDK kit)