I've had problems with that approach in the past including:

-- the email to text gateways operated by the cell carriers can be
very slow
-- I've found that the gateways often mess up the formatting of the
message, depending on the gateway it might wind up in the SMS with
things like "SUBJ:" and "BODY" and junk like that cluttering up your
message.
-- determining the correct email gateway to use from the cellphone
number is no longer reliable.  It used to be you could look up with
the area code and exchange and determine which carrier issued the
number and then know which email gateway to use.  Well, actually you
can still do that but with cellphone number portability, you don't
know which carrier currently services the number, you just know which
carrier issued the number.   So you wind up having to ask your
customer to provide their phone number and specify which carrier they
use.

I recently did an integration to a SMS gateway.  They have a variety
of APIs including HTTPS, XML, SOAP, etc.  They have a callback
mechanism so your app gets status updates on the delivery status of
each message.  Only draw back is it cost $0.03 per message.  There may
be cheaper ones out there, I'm not sure as I got tired of looking
around and three cents was reasonable for my usage.

It just depends on if you're willing to live with the limitations,
then the email approach is fine.  If you need something cleaner and
more reliable, then I suggest subscribing to a sms gateway service.