Thanks Alex! Changing versions works like a charm.
I'm still puzzled by this being a quota issue because I waited for the
quotas to reset and still appcfg.py returned an error when I tried to
update the app. It looks like as if there is an invisible quota on the
maximum number of uploads per version (???).

Regards,
Ivan