Hi Salman,

It seems like there would be quite a few ways to detecting when a user is
not longer active in the application and deciding how long without an
incoming request is "too long" would be up to you.

When you receive an incoming HTTP request in your app, you can check the
current user using the Google accounts API. One suggestion for keeping the
user list fresh could be to have an Ajax request periodically hit the
server, when the user closes the tab/window, the requests would stop flowing
in. Just an idea, you could do this many other ways.

To filter on certain properties of your users, you'll need to have entities
in the datastore with this additional information and associate them with a
user. I'm not sure how much you've used App Engine before, but if you are
completely new to App Engine, the getting started guide's guestbook example
would be a good place to start.

Happy coding,

Jeff