Hi,

Caveat:  I haven't even used AppEngine for Java yet.  But:

JSPs require access to a compiler at runtime, whereas servlets don't
(they're pre-compiled).  The JRE doesn't have a compiler, it's just a
runtime environment.  You need a JDK.  In your second screenshot
(env2.jpg), you have jre1.6.0_07 ticked.  I see you have jdk1.6.0_03
installed (it's the top item in that list), you might try ticking that
instead and seeing if that addresses the problem.

FWIW,
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com