I guess I probably misunderstood and thought that cron jobs weren't
subject to the same 10 second request deadline for HTTP requests?  I'm
trying to run a cron job that sends out a mailer.  Unfortunately, it's
taking longer than 10 seconds so the job will fail about halfway
through.  I guess I could rewrite it to only do batches at a time.
The means extra tables in my database to keep track of who has been
mailed, etc.  Not a big deal, I guess.  It just seems that this
restriction makes cron jobs fairly limited in what they can do.  A
database cleanup job, for example, is going to take longer and longer
as tables grow and will almost certainly always hit this limit, and
create a situation where the cron scripts will have to be rewritten
and additional tables written to manage intermediate state, etc.

Is the intent that the cron jobs will remain subject to the same
restrictions as other requests?