I figured out the solution to the problem I was asking about below.
It was more of a beginner's question than I thought.  The solution was
to add the following index to index.yaml:

- kind: assessment_item
  properties:
  - name: class
  - name: __key__
    direction: desc

The problem was that I didn't really know how to find the exception
stack traces and was assuming that they weren't being logged.  In fact
exceptions are being logged.  I had two versions of the application
uploaded, and there is a dropdown box in the log viewer that allows
you to select the version.  I didn't know about the box and was
looking at logs for an earlier version of the application.

Eric