Hi Arny,

The reason the offset works this way is related to bigtable and the
way the datastore has been implemented on top of it.  If what you need
is paging, e.g., scrolling through a dataset of search results, there
are more efficient ways of doing this than using the offset.  Some of
them are discussed here:

http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/paging.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9_t5W6MTE

Eric