Hi Astrid,

The point is mostly neatness - the hierarchical notation in the second
example makes more sense for certain types of URLs than query
parameters, particularly when it's being used to access distinct
resources that happen to use the same handlers internally - it's good
practice to isolate your URL structure from how you handle requests.
For more details, see Wikipedia's article on REST:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REST

As far as encoding and decoding goes, creating the URLs is much the
same as with any other scheme: Simply use your preferred method of
string construction, be it concatenation, templates, or '/'.join
(['index', '1', 'model', '2'). When it comes to interpreting URLs, the
default framework's support for regular expression groups can be
handy. If you define the following regular expression in your handler
map:

/index/(\d+)/model/(\d+)

Then your handler will get called with two arguments for the
parenthesized groups, like so:

class MyHandler(webapp.Handler):
  def get(self, indexnum, modelnum):
    # Note that indexnum and modelnum are strings, so you should call
int() on them first.

-Nick Johnson