Oh bother.

Just thought I'd post about my stupidity to hopefully make things
smoother for someone else.

For the record, I'm running XP Pro SP3, Python 2.5, GAE SDK 1.1.9,
ReportLab's PDF library 2.3.

In my investigations, I'd downloaded reportlab's .msi installer, which
installed the pdf library in my python/lib/site-packages/reportlab
directory.

Then, I realised I couldn't do that on Google's servers, and read I
could just install the files below the project directory.

After that, I couldn't create even the simplest .pdf because it
crashed saying the infamous error: "ImportError: No module named
pdfmetrics".  Nothing that I did seemed to change it.

Of course, once I removed the my python/lib/site-packages/reportlab
directory, and let python get all the files from the project directory
it all worked swimmingly, just as it did on the live web site.

Go figure.  Hope this helps someone.

-Ken