To be a bit more precise

The (html) files you use for the templates MUST NOT be static.
Otherwise the template python code can't read them.
You can't read the content of a static file with
f = open('file.html','r')
data = f.read()
f.close()

This is because static files are stored in a different place then the
python code files.