Indeed the entire API is limited to 1MB, but the point of discussion
I'd like to make is that for data-related API calls like the datastore
and memcache, it's easy to come up with hardware/implementation
constraints that would warrant such a limit, and there are usually
relatively simple ways to work around them.  For a processing API call
like an image API call, there should be no dependence on BigTable or
any sort of clustering, so the limit seems a little arbitrary,
especially in light of the request limit increase to 10MB which does
not seem to have any value for image requests.  I'm honestly hoping
it's just an oversight that will be fixed in the short term.

In the interim, using an external image API seems to be the best
solution indeed.  Right now, I'm looking into the Imageshack API which
seems to offer enough functionality, but can you go into how you use
the Picasa API?  It seems to be very well suited to importing a user's
photos, but to upload and manage photos as a website would require
using ClientLogin, and since ClientLogin uses a captcha, it doesn't
work well on app engine.  Or at least, that's what's written in the
App Engine Data API docs.

Thanks.