On Page

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/gettingstarted/helloworld.html

did you started the dev_appserver.py with the following command, in a
CMD window?

google_appengine/dev_appserver.py helloworld/

Instead of helloworld fill in your app directory name.

Did you get a print statement that the server was running OK?

INFO     2009-04-20 10:10:10,358 dev_appserver_main.py] Running
application XXX on port 8080: http://localhost:8080