Hi Nick - yes, this is the problem.  I suspected this, and yesterday I
tried to add ben.nev...@gmail.com as a developer.  I went through the
whole song and dance, and then after agreeing to the terms of service
it took me to the newbie page ("create an app!"), and the pending
developer account of ben.nev...@gmail.com was removed.

So I just went to do it again to reproduce the steps exactly for you,
and this time it worked!  and I can successfully access my data using
the remote API!  Awesome, thank you.

One other follow-up question: in my efforts to get this working, I
took the admin restriction off of the /remote_api handler in
app.yaml.  But it still asked for a login and rejected my attempts.
Maybe that's just a problem with the client script?

Ben