There is nothing preventing you from doing bulk uploading in Java. All you
need to do is batch your puts.
Also for long running threads and analysis it is possible that AppEngine is
not the right framework. That said you can always use AppEngine as a backing
store if that makes sense for your application and use the remote API to
grab the data you want to process, munge them on some other machine (or
clusters of machines) and then put the results back. This will cost
bandwidth and db ops of course.

--

Alkis