This is sort of confusing and a bit of a pain (the difference between
Google Apps accounts and general Google accounts).
Unfortunately I do require users to log in to use certain parts of the
app, so your suggestion won't work for me.
I have a number of apps all administered under the same base email
address, which makes things easier to administrate.  But it's really
odd that we wouldn't be able to use the Google Apps email address as
an admin address, especially since I think it's common to buy a domain
name through Google Apps, and then build an App Engine app in that
domain name.
Can you see this being fixed up in the forseeable future?  I'm
guessing not since it's probably complicated on Google's end.
Thanks,
Jon