barryhunter, I see what Wooble said.

I am a visitor of http://admins.googleapps.com/ I open this site with
Firefox browser and input "error|400" into the search box which
located in top right of screen, and press the "Search Site" button to
submit this query, and I got a response of:

Your search for "error|400" did not match any pages.

Everything work fine, and I want to share this page(search result
page) to my friend, so copy the url from address box and send to my
friend:

http://admins.googleapps.com/system/app/pages/search?q=%22error|400%22

Now, suppose you are my friend, and got this url and paste it back to
IE or Firefox, to see the result

Until now, what's wrong with Vistor, Firefox or
admins.googleapps.com???

IE work fine, it will automatic format '|' to '%7C' when a user submit
a form with GET method, but firefox keep '|' in address box

Google or Yahoo can handle url with '|' smoothly.