Hi George,

Thanks for the response.  I've done some additional testing and am not
getting much further.  Unfortunately in this case I do not have
control of the endpoint and am stuck with braces in the URL.

Some additional notes which may be of use to anyone who happens upon
this:

1. The URLs being requested in this example return xml/rdf
documents.
2. In the case of requesting a resource without braces in it's URL a
response similar to the following is received (truncated for brevity)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#";>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Companion_
%28manga%29">.....</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

3. On the GAE production environment the response to a request for a
URL with braces is not an error, but rather an empty rdf document.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#";>
</rdf:RDF>

4.  This lead me to speculate that the request being received by the
remote host was not for the same resource as I believe I am making a
request for.  So, with the help of another non-GAE endpoint I have
been logging requests generated via urlfetch and am not able to see
any appreciable difference between those sent by the development
version, where these requests work, and the production version, where
they don't.

Continuing to investigate....