You need to use a JSON library for Python. Here is a good one that i
have found, and using for quite sometime.

http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/source/browse/trunk/geochat/json.py

Also, refer to the Application's source code to understand how to use
this
http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/source/browse/trunk/geochat/

Cheers,
--