I'm having same issue. Index building, for a alpha app at this moment
(just 100 entities), and it's stuck building index. Sounds like one
has to factor in this lag time in the development cycle, that is,
first update index definitions, wait wait and wait, then upload the
app (well, if one uses versions, can conceivably promote the version
to be the default one when index building has finished )

An indication of how many people are ahead in the queue or better yet
(expected duration although I realize that it can be hard to
estimate), email notification when it's done, adding more "workers",
would be nice. In any case, the message that version is ready to start
serving upon upload is misleading. version might be capable of serving
http requests, but it all indexes in index.yaml  aren't built you
should get a warning at least

On a separate note, vacuum_indexes more often than not, hangs. Well,
maybe it isn't hung, but it appears so, because output just says
Fetching index definitions diff, and stale indexes still show in the
console.