Ok, thank you for the response.  I was just worried i was missing
something obvious.  My method of keeping only the title property as
searchable model, and the rest of the fields as normal DB models does
work fine, just didn't seem the most efficient way to do it.  but it
looks like that is the way to go.  thank you for the response!