Hi Sri,

There's no way to see why an App ID is taken, unfortunately. As far as
'transferring' a username goes, any user can register an app with the
same name as their gmail account, so if you can convince the owner of
the account to register the app with the same name as their address,
and then add you as an administrator, you can remove their
administrator privileges and take control of the app (with their
permission, of course!)

People could create gmail accounts just to prevent a name being used
in App Engine, but it's not clear to me why they'd want to do that.

-Nick Johnson