I have a personal Google Apps domain; I created a new group, set it to
"Public" and made sure to check the "Any email address" box in the "Who can
send email to this group" section. I verified that I my App Engine app could
send mail both to individuals and this particular group in my domain.

This leads me to believe that there is a different issue. Can you confirm
whether you are able to send mail to an individual using the same code as
you have set up for the group (just swapping out the 'to' address)? Can you
also confirm whether the "Any email address" box is selected in your Google
Apps dashboard?

Thanks,
- Jason