not if you have defined the images as static in your app.yaml (or
similar in java)

but if your images are served dynamically (using python/java) then you
can.

static content is served from a different system to code and so you
get little control. but serving them off the code system you get
pretty much full control.

you could write a small script (easiest in python) to act as a static
handler, that just reads the file from disk (any resource not declared
as static is readable on the code server) and does a few access checks
and returns approriate headers.