I believe that the GAE team has said they are committed to both, so
you can probably take them at their word and expect to just timing
differences as to when feature x appears on each platform.

Therefore what remains is your learning curve and the type of language
you prefer. Do you know Python or Java better? Why not start there? Do
you prefer the more static type checking of Java or the more runtime
type checking of Python?  I've found that most people naturally
prefer, and hence are more productive, in one than the other.

And lastly, which community do you prefer :)

-fitz