If what you want to monitor can be monitored by a URLfetch (a HTTP URL
you want to verify), then GAE will probably work quite well.

You can have a process spawed by the scheduler (aka Cron), which trys
to connect to a perdertmined set of URLs. If any fail or dont return
the expected result, send of an email.

If you want SMS or similar, just find a email to SMS gateway.

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -