I'm interested in the same. I know that you can get the clock-cycles a
request used so far by calling quota.get_request_cpu_usage(), but I
don't find this to be very useful as an absolute measurement.

The docs state (on the quota page): 'CPU time is reported in
"seconds," which is equivalent to the number of CPU cycles that can be
performed by a 1.2 GHz Intel x86 processor in that amount of time. The
actual number of CPU cycles spent varies greatly depending on
conditions internal to App Engine, so this number is adjusted for
reporting purposes using this processor as a reference measurement.'

So, in theory, a CPU second would be about 1.2 billion clock cycles.
But I highly doubt it works that way in practice. So my current
solution is to just implement the CPU intensive parts and hit them
with a load test (And have a backup plan in case the CPU usage
policies change again).

IMHO this is something that Google really needs to improve. App Engine
does lack transparency in some areas - and given that it's a product
meant to appeal to engineers that's a real flaw.