I am having this problem as well.

I have vacuumed, deleting ALL indexes from index.yaml
Two indexes are stuck in an error state, and have not cleared for over
24 hours
One of the indexes has a misspelled property (__key_)
appid=gdodemo

Tag
prefix ▲ , __key_ ▲     Error
prefix ▲ , word ▲       Error

I tried a couple of more cycles, one with index.yaml empty,
and one with just the Tag entity indexes removed.

Last message was, trying to vacuum with an empty index.yaml:
Are you sure you want to delete this index? (N/y/a): a

Deleting selected index definitions.2009-06-13 13:35:47,960 WARNING
appcfg.py:670 7 indexes were not deleted.  Most
likely this is because they no longer exist.

My application is currently down hard.
Without indexes, nothing will work!