Hi Alex,

Thanks for your feedback. Responses inline.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Alex Popescu <
the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I am appreciating the work and innovation behind the App Engine
> platform, I believe that billing for CPU time is wrong:
>
> - the terms are not well defined [1]

I believe the terms are well defined, in our documentation. api-ms is, as
expected, the number of milliseconds spent processing API calls, and is
purely informative (eg, it's not used separately for billing). If there's
something specific you think we could clarify, please let us know.

> - it is not clear how they are measured

What about how CPU is measured would you like clarified?

> - there have been repeated problems on the platform and these are
> impacting the CPU analytics

You're right - App Engine has experienced issues, and it's something we're
actively working on reducing. Any production system will inevitably have
occasional problems, but we're dedicated to ensuring App Engine works as
smoothly and as reliably as possible.

> - it includes framework API internal calls CPU usage and this is not
> under developers' control

API calls are only ever made when a developer's code requests them.
Admittedly this can sometimes be less obvious than one might expect - for
example, resolution of ReferenceProperties - but reading the documentation
will reveal exactly when API calls can be expected.

> - framework API calls are already billable separately

We don't bill for API calls, except in terms of the CPU use they entail,
with the exception of the Mail API, where we bill per-message. We do place
limits on API calls and data volumes to and from our APIs, but these are
purely to prevent (deliberate or accidental) abuse and ensure smooth
operation for all users. I'm not aware of anyone running into these limits
in normal operation.

-Nick Johnson

--
Nick Johnson, App Engine Developer Programs Engineer
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: