Hi All,
     My application requires certain types of query features that are
not currently possible through Datastore API and so I am thinking of
moving the query side of things to Anazon's SimpleDB (mainly use it to
return keys). For example, I would like to return entities that are
within a certain zip code range while supporting pagination. Since key
based paging takes the only inequality operator allowed, it is not
possible to do the traditional zip based retrieval.  Even without
paging there is no way to have two inequality operator.  Hence the
switch to SimpleDB -- let me know if there are any nice workarounds
for zip-based data retrieval.

I have two questions for App Engine members:

1. Have you noticed any major latency issues in accessing SimpleDB
from App Engine (thinking of using Boto module)? If so, any tips on
how to reduce it?

2. When I tested SimpleDB from my dev machine, I noticed SimpleDB
takes up to 5 seconds to return results -- most of the time is
actually spent in authorizing the request. So I would like to initiate
the connection once in the app and reuse the object for all subsequent
queries. Where should I do this initialization? I am not familiar with
how App Engine caches the application. Should I create a
amazon_login.py, include the logic for auth (two lines of code) and
import the file in my code? or do I need to put it in a class and
instantiate the class in the same file?

Thanks
-e