Hi,
You can send mail on development server locally. For this download
"sendmail" utiltiy for windows.
extract it in you local directory and set the path varible in
environment varible for root folder. e.g. (c:\sendmail)

Now in the extracted folder "sendmail", we can see "sendmail.ini".
Infact we have to change this.
Change following parameters:
-------------------------------
smtp_server=smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port=465
default_domain=yourdomain.com
auth_username=n...@yourdomain.com
auth_password=yourpassword

And while running dev server specify the parameter " --
enable_sendmail"
e.g   dev_appserver.py --enable_sendmail