If I want to use the new Django 1.x support do I replace the django
install in the app engine SDK  ... or do I add it to my app as a
module?  If I add it ... how do I prevent it from being uploaded with
the rest of the app?

I'm also wondering about Django performance.  Here was my test case:
create a very basic app Django Patch ... display a page (no db
reads ... just display a template)
... point mon.itor.us at it every 30 minutes ... latency is about
1500-2000ms.  I assume it's because Django Patch zips up django into a
package and the package adds overhead ... the first time it's hit the
app server has to unzip it (or is it every time it's hit?)  Woah ...
that seemed a bit high for my taste ... I want my app to be reasonably
performant ... and that's not reasonable.

Try 2:
create a very basic app displaying a template, use the built in django
template engine but without any of the other django stuff ... use the
GAE webapp as my framework.  response time is now down to 100-200ms on
average, according to mon.itor.us.  I assume this would come down
further if my app proved popular enough to keep it on a server for any
length of time.

I'm brand new to python, app engine and django ... I have about 10
years of experience with PHP and am a pretty good developer in the PHP
space.  I would like to work on GAE with some sense of what the best
practices are for scalable and performant apps.

Here are my conclusions based on my very simple research thus far:
1) Django comes at a cost ... especially if you don't use the default
install that comes built with the SDK.
2) Best practices is probably to pick and choose django components on
GAE but use webapp as your primary framework.

Thoughts?  Am I off here?