Hi Koen,

There isn't a significant performance penalty using longer keys. Ian is
simply referring to the fact that longer strings inevitably require more
processing (copying, memory, etcetera) than shorter ones. This isn't
generally a significant consideration when it comes to entity keys, though.

-Nick Johnson