Here's an update.  I found out how to do basic CGI so I was able to
examine the POST data directly.  Interestingly, I got no errors
decoding the POST data as ascii!  Does this point to a bug in the
run_wsgi_app code?

Here's my new mainline.  The output I got (minus the very long POST
data) is "is_ascii: True No error decoding as ascii".

def is_ascii(s):
    return all(ord(c) in range(128) for c in s)

def main():
    print "Content-Type: text/html"     # HTML is following
    print                               # blank line, end of headers
    s = sys.stdin.read()
    print 'DATA: '
    print s
    print 'is_ascii: ' + str(is_ascii(s))
    try:
        s.decode('ascii')
    except UnicodeDecodeError:
        print "UnicodeDecodeError: not a ascii-encoded unicode string"
    else:
        print "No error decoding as ascii"
#   run_wsgi_app(application)