In the fullness of time I have no doubt that Google App Engine will be
one of the premier cloud computing platforms, and yes I think this
will be a wonderful thing.

In the short term though, I think we need to collectively recognize
that App Engine is still an *emerging technology*.

So can you build a business or livelihood around an *emerging
technology*? Yes absolutely, as long as you properly manage your
customers' expectations. In a practical sense this means the following
-- you don't oversell what Google App Engine can do and you bring
attention to the *known issues* or the things it can't do.

Best Regards.