Hey Jeff,

We're experiencing this exact same problem -- after sending an
indeterminate amount of emails (50+), App Engine will throw an
"ApplicationError: ApplicationError: 1" exception.  The stacktrace we
get is identical to the previous poster:

message.send()
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/mail.py",
line 513, in send
    raise e
ApplicationError: ApplicationError: 1

Do you have any suggestions on how to track this down?  We'd be
willing to share our source code with you directly if that would
help.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Bill