Hi,
I have a same situation too.

When I requested a spreadsheet API by the method
gdata.spreadsheets.service.GetListFeed of python client liblary 2.0.1,
It's occured the DownLoadError ApplicationError 5.

File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/urlfetch.py",
line 241, in fetch
    return rpc.get_result()
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 442, in get_result
    return self.__get_result_hook(self)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/urlfetch.py",
line 331, in _get_fetch_result
    raise DownloadError(str(err))
DownloadError: ApplicationError: 5

I think the reason is not timeout, since the same error occured even
if I set the deadline parameter.
(This problem is solved  by the parameter on the SDK.)

    return HttpResponse(urlfetch.Fetch(url=str(url), payload=data_str,
      method=method, headers=all_headers, follow_redirects=False,
deadline=60))

↑ gdata.alt.appengine.py # 145

The spreadsheets has many rows.
But I am sure the download size is not large, because it's set the
following parameter.

  row_query = gdata.spreadsheet.service.ListQuery()
  row_query.start_index = str(1)
  row_query.max_results = str(1)

Please tell me the reason of  this error on GAE.