You may be interested in this thread
http://groups.google.de/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/ed98202989904519?hl=en#

Could just use the zipme script to implement some download capability
in case your own source got lost.
http://www.manatlan.com/blog/zipme___download_sources_of_your_gae_website__as_a_zip_file

Rename zipme (in app.yaml as well as in script) to something else and
use strong passwords to minimize the risk being hacked.