I am using the low-level Java Datastore interface and writing a
"transactional" store - where each entity stores a number of data
updates in a single Blob.
Each transaction requires two updates, one to a Header entity, and one
to the new transaction data entity.  Keys for each are created
explicitly.  This has a number of advantages, specifically with regard
to guaranteed transaction isolation and caching potential.
However, I am disappointed with the insertion performance.  I use the
DatastoreService put(Iterable) to invoke the two updates witha single
API call (or rather one update and one insert), but I am seeing >120ms
request times in the logs. The log trace confirms the delay is largely
down to the datastore put.

Am I missing something, or is this really the best I can hope for?
Apart from the blob data, which is normally ~1k, a couple of debug
properties (Date and VM hash) are included but set using
setUnindexedProperty.

Any help/advice appreciated.