Adam wrote:
> David, I would suggest using a Request Repeater pattern rather than
> Task Queues. What you want to achieve might be difficult or impossible
> with Task Queues.

That's very cunning --- ta. I can use that.

However, I'm not sure it quite meets all my requirements. This is good
for ensuring that the event queue gets flushed periodically, which I'm
going to want to do, but I also want to flush the queue on-demand (so
that I can quickly process any pending events while the user's actually
logged in).

Traditionally I'd do this with a big lock around the event processing
routine, but appengine can't do this. I could use transactions, but I'd
have to process each event --- which will involve touching and updating
multiple entities all over my database --- inside a transaction, and
that's going to be hideously expensive should contention happen (I'll
end up processing the same event multiple times!) due to the optimistic
transactions.

There has to be a better way to do this!

--
David Given
d...@cowlark.com