I am not caching the user, I always use the UserServiceFactory on each
request.

I discovered this testing the web.xml security-contraint
configurations.  I was surprised to say the least.

I then added debugging to output user info to a page and noted the
symptoms reported.

Re: insertion performance, I update two entities, one is always
created (with a generated key) and the other updated.  I update using
a batch put which improved update from ~180ms to 120ms

Initially there was a single Blob property on the insert entity (I
store transactional data), adding a few unindexed properties seems to
have made no significant difference.  I did test "pre-puts", batching
say  one-hundred inserts, and then seeing if update of an existing
entity was any better - it wasn't.

I will get back with some more metrics in a bit.