I found the part of the code where gzip file was magically unzipped.

/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/api/urlfetch_stub.py
        if http_response.getheader('content-encoding') == 'gzip':
          gzip_stream = StringIO.StringIO(http_response_data)
          gzip_file = gzip.GzipFile(fileobj=gzip_stream)
          http_response_data = gzip_file.read()
        response.set_content(http_response_data[:MAX_RESPONSE_SIZE])

I wonder it's a good behavior. The downloaded data is less than 1MB,
but since the unzipped data is more than that, it's truncated.

I believe truncation should occur only when the downloaded data is
more than 1MB.
What does everyone think?