(first post didn't go through)

Hypothetical app ..

Let's say I have 10,000 users and I need an application that queries
every minute, a service they all subscribe to. Obviously every minute
cron jobs won't work as it would take more than 30 seconds to process
1..10000 as I traverse down the list. So instead, should I create
10,000 tasks .. one for each customer? And load these tasks into the
tasks queue every minute? But then I'd have to do some checking in
case more than a minute has passed and some tasks in the queue still
haven't finished ...

Any ideas?