Hi Tim,

Would you be open to using tlslite? I've had good experience with it so far,
so if you are looking to get up and running quickly this example might help

http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/trunk/src/gdata/gauth.py#378

  from tlslite.utils import keyfactory
  private_key = keyfactory.parsePrivateKey(rsa_key)
  signed = private_key.hashAndSign(data)

Thank you,

Jeff