After going through this particular hell, let me save you some time:

Do not attempt to use a google apps account in a GAE application that
uses google accounts.  Inscrutably, google treats google app accounts
and google accounts completely differently.  If you try to use them
together, very, very weird things start happening.

If you ONLY want to send email with that as a "From" address, this
formula could work:

1) Create a google account, and enter the google apps account email as
the address
2) Log out from that account
3) Log in using your google account
4) Now invite that developer
5) Log out from google, and log out from google apps
6) Log in to google apps as that developer
7) Accept the invite
8) Never, ever, ever try to use that account for anything else

However, if you can think of a way to use a From: address which is
either a @gmail.com or some other non-google-apps email, I'd strongly
recommend it.