Is there any reason to prefer multiple app.yaml entries over few?

That is, one can match /pages/.*, /users/.*, /tasks/.*, /foo/.*, etc
with separate app.yaml entries, followed by a catch-all app.yaml
entry, each with its own handler file, each file with its own wsgi
application, or with a single app.yaml entry (/.*) and a handler file
with a wsgi application that has a clause for each of those cases.
(Assume that each handler file defines main() so it will be cached.)

Is there any difference between these two approachs wrt reuse or other
implementation issues?

For example, if an instance is created for one handler, will it be
used for another?  (The documentation says that handler files can be
cached like any other module, but doesn't say how that interacts with
instance reuse.)

Thanks,
-andy