Hi there,

I had the same problem, but got favicon.ico to work by ALSO including
it in the listing of static files in appengine-web.xml

eg:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <appengine-web-app xmlns="http://appengine.google.com/ns/1.0";>
  <application>xxx</application>
  <version>1</version>
- <!--  Configure java.util.logging
  -->
- <system-properties>
  <property name="java.util.logging.config.file" value="WEB-INF/
logging.properties" />
  </system-properties>
- <static-files>
  <include path="/**.png" />