I'm seeing very slow times on some merge-join (zig zag) queries, and
just want to confirm that App Engine is smart about these things.

In particular, if I have a poperty for which most records have an
identical value, does GAE does have to scan the related entire index
linearly, or, if I'm in the middle of a merge join, does it
intelligently find a good starting point based on the desired __key__
value?

Imagine 1M records with a db.BooleanProperty set to False...