I've been toying around with using Ajax to send XMPP requests to an App
Engine instance of mine, and this works (in principle, the packets get
there, but I have other problems, for other mails) as long as I am logged in
as the administrator of the app engine instance.Seriously. What is the
reason for this?

When I try to send an Ajax request from my page (which is loaded from
/static from the very same app engine project, I get a 302 back, trying to
redirect my JavaScript logic to a login page. OK, even if I were to act on
that and later on detect that the user is logged in, why must the user be an
administrator? According to the docs;

-------

To handle incoming messages, you simply create a request handler that
accepts POST requests at this URL path.

This URL path is restricted to app administrators automatically. The XMPP
service connects to the app with "administrator" status for the purposes of
accessing this URL path. You can configure the path to have this restriction
explicitly if you like, but this is not necessary. Only the XMPP service and
clients authenticated as administrators using Google Accounts can access
this URL path.

--------

This effectively makes app engine completely useless if you're going to
(like me) build a hand-written client which will utilize XMPP for updates
(between clients), and not just writing a bot for gchat. I don't mean that
writing a bot for gchat is not interesting as such, but this login thing
really seems very restrictive.

I can understand that Google want control over its resources so that someone
doesn't write a completely open thing that lead to an overutilization of the
current XMPP infrastructure. But first of all I don't see how that could not
be solved by just charging more dollars of the controlling app engine
project (which will happen automatically anyway), and secondly if
authentication of XMPP clients really is needed, just let anyone login in
who has a Google account.

Thanks!

Cheers,
PS