On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM, medecau<mede...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 5, 1:40 pm, David Symonds <dsymo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 7:12 PM, medecau<mede...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Having said that I believe that 50ms per incoming message is too much.
>> > I would assume it takes Google less than 50ms to process an XMPP
>> > message and deliver it to an app.
>>
>> There's a lot of work required to bridge two protocols, and an XMPP
>> message has to traverse that bridge as well as be processed by both
>> sides. Wall time is not the same as CPU time.
>>
>> Dave.
>
> I understand there might be some work to bridge between XMPP and a GAE
> instance but splashing every request with a 50ms overhead seems too
> much for me.
> XMPP's 50ms are CPU time and my observation is made based only on CPU
> time (including APIs CPU use), never total time of request.
>
> Also I made this post because XMPP was just release and I felt the
> need to express my opinion on this matter, I never expected XMPP API
> to be made available without going through the lab.

For note, on an XMPP server I run at my work, we can serve well over
500 requests a second without it exceeding 3% cpu usage an old P4, so
yea, I really doubt it takes 50ms.  Using a customized xml decoder for
it gave the largest speed boost by far, it can parse over 560 thousand
a second for xmpp chat messages (that includes conversion to
int/float/string/etc..., this is in C++ though).